Evangelism as a Team Sport
A while back we gathered RD Group leaders and members for a time of equipping. One of the questions we discussed was how the Lord could use RD Groups to see evangelism increase at our church.
Initially a few people responded with, “Wait a second, I thought RD Groups were for believers.” Which is true. However, if we are going to fulfill our purpose of seeing people mature in Christ and multiply their faith with others; evangelism will be a vital part of the process. Here are the benefits people shared about focusing on evangelism with others:
- Prayer –Sharing the burden of praying for the people the Lord has called you to pursue, provides additional strength.
- Accountability – All of us have room to grow in Christ, and having someone we know is going to ask us about what we’ve committed to do makes a difference.
- Share Stories – Spur each other on by listening to opportunities the Lord has provided for gospel conversations to take place.
- Create an Expectation – Regularly praying and checking in with each other about who you are reaching out to provides a greater sensitivity to pointing people to Christ.
- Make Plans – Schedule an opportunity for your RD Group to meet the non-Christians you are praying for. It could be for a meal, to watch a game, or to attend an event together.
- Serve Together – Most people find value in helping others. Try organizing a serve opportunity that your RD Group can do with or for non-Christians.
- Be Authentic – Use wisdom and innocence to allow non-Christians to see where you are vulnerable. Let them know how much it has helped to have your RD Group in your corner praying, encouraging, and challenging you.
- Meet in Public –Use your times together to meet in public and ask the Lord for guidance in sharing with the non-Christians that cross your path.
- Ask for Help – If you have been stumped with what the next step is with a non-Christian you know, ask your RD Group what they would do in the same situation.
- Leverage Different Gifts – Viewing evangelism through RD as a team sport could mean the Lord uses one person to invite, another to show the love of Christ, and another to share the gospel.
Email Todd at
for information about RD Groups that will be forming in January.